Dr Proscovia Svard
Meet our Research Faculty
Enterprise content management, records management, information culture, e-government development, public sector information (PSI) and Open Data, long-term preservation of digital information, truth and reconciliation commissions and their documentation processes, the role of archives in enhancing accountability and transparency in government institutions, information access and the link to democracy and development and New Public Management and its impact on the management of government information.PhD in
Archives and Information ScienceResearch Collaborations
Under the auspices of InterPares Trust AI which is at the University of British Columbia, I am leading a study entitled, "Investigating the Use of AI technologies in the Realm of E-Government Development together with colleagues; Ass. Prof. Esteban Guerrero, School of Technology and Innovations, Vaasa University, Assoc. Prof. Saurombe Nampombe, Associate Prof. Lorette Jacobs and Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Tolu Balogun, Department of Information Science, University of South Africa and Assoc. Prof. Pekka Henttonen of Tampere University, Faculty of Information technology and Communication Sciences.
I on the 24 – 25 October 2022, co-organized a virtual conference under the theme, “Truth Commissions: Issues of Access and Ownership’ with McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation, University of Manitoba, Canada, The Social Science Research Council’s African Peacebuilding Network Program, USA The Nelson Mandela Foundation, South Africa.Publications Book
- Svärd, P. (2017). Enterprise content management, records management and information culture amidst E-government development. Cambridge (MA): Chandos Publishing (Chandos information professional series), Elsevier.
- Svärd, P. (2014). Information and records management systems and the impact of information culture on the management of public information. Dis. Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam, 2014.
- Svärd, P. (2011). The Interface Between Enterprise Content Management and Records Management in Changing Organizations. Lic. (Comprehensive summary) Sundsvall: Kopieringen Mid Sweden University, 2011 (Mid Sweden University licentiate thesis: 71)
- Svärd, P. (2020). The Role of Information Institutions in Promoting Information Literacy and Access to Information for Sustainable Development in the Post-Truth Era : The Case of Sweden. In Open Access Implications for Sustainable Social, Political, and Economic Development. IGI Global. pp. 78-99.
- Svärd, P. (2017). E-government development and challenges of freeing public sector information. In The Governance of Local Communities : Global Perspectives and Challenges. Hauppauge, New York : Nova Science Publishers, Inc.. pp. 145-162.
- Svärd, P. (2014). Exploring Two Approaches to Information Management : two Swedish municipalities as examples. In Enterprise Content Management in Information Systems Research : Foundations, Methods and Cases. Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer Berlin/Heidelberg. pp. 217-235.
- Svärd, P. & Zimic, S. (2021). Information Management and E-services Development : The Follow-up Process of Residential Care Homes for Children and Young People in Two Swedish Municipalities. In EGOV-CeDEM-ePart 2021 : Proceedings of Ongoing Research, Practitioners, Posters, Workshops, and Projects of the International Conference EGOV-CeDEM-ePart 2021, pp. 91--102.
- Svärd, P. (2017). Hindrances to access and re-use of open government data : the case of Sweden. In Proceeding of DLIS 2017 International Conference. Gaborone: pp. 1--17.
- Svärd, P. & Joshi, S. (2015). Prerequisites to e-Government Development and Open Government: The Case of Three Municipalities. In CeDEM15 Proceedings.
- Svärd, P. & Samuelsson, G. (2011). E-Government Developments and The Challenges of Managing Geodata. In Electronic government and electronic participation: joint proceedings of ongoing research and projects of IFIP EGOV and ePart 2011. Linz : (Schrifenreihe Informatik). pp. 175--180.
- Svärd, P. (2010). e-Government Initiatives and Information Management in Two Local Government Authorities.. In Proceedings of 4th European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation. Reading: pp. 429--436.
- Kallberg, M., Svärd, P. & Sundberg, H. (2010). Improving Local Government - A Survey of Problems. In Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference e-Society 2010. pp. 76--84.
- Svard, P. (2009). Archiving Challenges in Africa: The Case of Post-Conflict Liberia. Paper presented at the IASA 2008 Conference, Sydney, Australia
- Svärd, P. & Borglund, E. (2022). The implementation of an e-archive to facilitate open data publication and the use of common specifications : A case of three Swedish agencies. Government Information Quarterly.
- Svärd, P. (2022). The South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the Use of its Documentation : An Analysis. Working papers:33
- Svärd, P. (2021). Public Sector Information and Open Data : A Focus on Sweden. Mousaion: South African Journal of Information Studies, vol. 38:4
- Svärd, P. (2021). The Swedish People’s Awareness of The Public Sector Information Directive – a Pilot Study. Tidsskriftet Arkiv, vol. 9:1
- Svärd, P. (2021). Using African Truth and Reconciliation Commission documentation for truth telling and reconciliation. Education for Information, vol. 37: 1, pp. 113-120.
- Svärd, P. (2019). The Archivists’ Understanding of New Public Management and Outsourcing of Government Information : The Case of Sweden. Mousaion: South African Journal of Information Studies, vol. 37:1.
- Svärd, P. (2019). The impact of new public management through outsourcing on the management of government information : The case of Sweden. Records Management Journal, vol. 29: 1/2, pp. 134-151.
- Svärd, P. (2018). Access to government information : a global phenomenon but what are the challenges? ESARBICA Journal, vol. 37, pp. 158-177.
- Svärd, P. (2018). Has the Freedom of Information Act enhanced transparency and the free flow of information in Liberia?. Information Development, vol. 34: 1, pp. 20-30.
- Svärd, P. (2018). Public Information Directive (PSI) implementation in two Swedish municipalities. Records Management Journal, vol. 28: 1, pp. 2-17.
- Svärd, P. (2017). A proactive and holistic information management approach is crucial to e-government development. ESARBICA Journal: Journal of the Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives, vol. 36, pp. 1-11.
- Svärd, P. (2017). Freedom of information laws and information access : The case of Sierra Leone. Information Development, vol. 33: 2, pp. 190-198.
- Svärd, P. (2017). The woes of Swedish private archival institutions. Records Management Journal, vol. 27: 3, pp. 275-285.
- Sundqvist, A. & Svärd, P. (2016). Information culture and records management : a suitable match? Conceptualizations of information culture and their application on records management. International Journal of Information Management, vol. 36: 1, pp. 9-15.
- Svärd, P. (2014). Information Culture in Three Municipalities and Its Impact on Information Management amidst E-Government Development. IFLA Journal, vol. 40: 1, pp. 48-59.
- Svärd, P. (2014). The impact of information culture on information/ records management : A case study of a municipality in Belgium. Records Management Journal, vol. 24: 1, pp. 5-21.
- Svärd, P. (2013). Enterprise Content Management and the Records Continuum Model as strategies for long-term preservation of digital information. Records Management Journal, vol. 23: 3, pp. 159-176.
- Svärd, P. (2013). Records management and e-Government development in Europe : a tale of 3 municipalities, IQ: The RIM Quarterly, vol. 29: 4, pp. 37-42.
- Kallberg, M. , Ivarsson, E. Svärd, P. & Troselius, N. (2012). Rapport från ARCHIDIS-sommarskola : Marburg 1-12 augusti 2011. Arkiv, samhälle och forskning, vol. 2011: 1, pp. 22-27.
- Svärd, P. (2011). Information Management Strategies in Two Swedish Municipalities: Similarities with Enterprise Content Management.. Information and Records Management Annual, (iRMA) pp. 153-182.
- Svärd, P. (2011). Transforming public administrations and challenges of information management. Archives & Manuscripts, vol. 39: 2, pp. 96-118.
- Svärd, P. (2010). The international community and post-war reconciliation in Africa: A case study of the Sierra Leone Truth and Reconciliation Commission. African Journal on Conflict Resolution, vol. 10: 1, pp. 35-61.
- Svärd, P. & Sundqvist, A. (2009). Archiving and Small Nations : An Ethical Issue of Two Post-Conflict Societies. Infotrend, vol. 64: 1, pp. 2-12.
- Svärd, P. (2008). Access and democratisation of information: the documentation of war atrocities by the Liberian Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Comma: 1, pp. 123-134.
- Svärd, P. (2008). The Role of Archives in enhancing Accountability and Transparency - The Case of Sierra Leone. The Eastern and Southern Regional Branch of the International Council of Archives (ESARBICA)-, vol. 27, pp. 20-38.
- Sundqvist, A. & Svärd, P. (2007). IT - the most revolutionary issue globally: but is it for all?. InfoTrend, vol. 62: 3, pp. 71-78.
- Svärd, P. (2007). The Challenges of Documenting War Atrocities in Post-Conflict Sierra Leone: A Study of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC).. African Journal of International Affairs, vol. 10: 1&2, pp. 55-72.
- Svärd, P. (2005). Archival Challenges. News from the Nordic Africa Institute:2
- Svärd, P. (2005). Waste Management in Uganda. News from the Nordic Africa Institute: 3, pp. 26-28.
- Research Fellow (2015 - todate)
- University of South Africa, Department of Information Science (Unisa)