Master in Environmental Sustainability Law and Policies
- About the programme
- Programme structure
- Entry requirements
- Tuition fees & scholarships
|• Programme duration:||2 years|
|• Delivery language:||English|
|• Degree awarded:||Master in Environmental Sustainability Law and Policies|
|• Accreditation:||The curriculum follows the European ECTS system and the degree is awarded by Université Paris Cité. This programme is accredited by the UAE Commission for Academic Accreditation.|
|• Admission deadline:||25 August 2023|
|• Interview dates:||8 & 22 November 2022 | 6 & 20 December 2022 | 10 & 24 January 2023 | 7 & 21 February 2023 | 7 & 21 March 2023 | 4 & 18 April 2023 | 9 & 23 May 2023 | 6 & 20 June 2023 | 4 & 18 July 2023 | 8 & 28 August 2023|
The Master in Environmental Sustainability Law and Policies equips students with the necessary tools to understand adapted regulatory frameworks in the business administration of sustainable development.
The Master in Environmental Sustainability Law and Policies provides an inter-disciplinary study programme that meets the knowledge requirements of students interested in careers in environmental law, and environmental policy and management.
Our students not only develop detailed analytical skills about the environmental impact of global business and socio-economic forces, they are also encouraged to actively participate in projects, workshops, and maintain constant dialogue with faculty and regional or international experts to explore the most effective strategies to respond to various sustainability challenges in the UAE, GCC and on the international level. Throughout this education programme, future leaders in environmental sustainability have the opportunity to maximise their skills and career potential, to complement the UAE’s rapid and ambitious progress.
Employment within the government, political, media, and environmental sustainability law fields are lucrative and competitive as graduates with a specialisation in Environmental Sustainability Law and Policies are highly sought after. At the end of their studies at SUAD (Master 1 required), students have the opportunity to present the Bar exam at the Université Paris Cité. The courses of the Institute of Judicial Studies (IEJ) are now also given in a dematerialized way and can thus be followed in addition to the completion of their Master.
Typical delivery format of the courses*
M1 and M2
|Monday||4:30pm – 8:00pm|
|Tuesday||4:30pm – 8:00pm|
|Wednesday||4:30pm – 8:00pm|
|Thursday||4:30pm – 8:00pm|
|Friday||4:30pm – 8:00pm|
*This is the usual pattern of the courses, changes may sometimes occur.
First Year Public Law – Semester 1
- History of Legal and Political Systems
- International Public Law
- International Affairs
- International Dispute Settlement
- Comparative Law
- One optional subject: International and EU Taxation or Environmental issues
First Year Public Law – Semester 2
- Advanced Public Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Organisations
- Space, Telecommunications and Media Law
- Public Business Law
- One optional subject: International Trade Law or Natural and Technological Risk Management
First Year Private Law – Semester 1
- Company Law – General Principles and UAE Practice
- Advanced Contract Law
- Insolvency Law
- Law of the EU Internal Market
- Common Law – Contract, Tort and Trust
- One optional subject: International and EU Tax Law or Environmental issues
First Year Private Law – Semester 2
- Private International Law
- Banking Law
- International Trade Law
- European Business Law
- Public Business Law
- One optional subject: Intellectual Property Law or Natural and Technological Risk Management
Second Year – Semester 1
- Climate Change Law
- Sustainable Development in a Global Context
- International Environmental Law
- Energy Transition Strategies and Policies
- Renewable Energy Law and Policy
- Environmental Policies and Economics
Second Year – Semester 2
- Water Law and Natural Resources Management
- Planning and Building Sustainable Cities: Legal and Institutional Aspects
- Energy Project Development and Finance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Environmental Justice
- One optional subject: Adaptation and Mitigation to Environmental Change or Moot Court and Dispute Resolution
- Master thesis or Capstone Project in Environmental Sustainability
- Bachelor in a relevant field with a CGPA of 3 out of 4 or equivalent. Candidates with a GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 can be granted a conditional acceptance subject to a probation period of one semester
- IELTS certificate with minimum overall band of 6.0 with a validity of 2 years or TOEFL certificate with minimum score of 79 (or equivalent) with a validity of 2 years or Minimum EmSAT English score of 1400 with a validity of 18 months or, Native English speaker who completed 3 full years in an English-medium institution within a maximum period of 3 years
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview to assess the candidate’s motivation, career expectations and relevant professional experience in the degree area.
Applicants who earned their undergraduate degrees from universities outside the UAE must present a Certificate of Equivalency for their graduation certificates from the UAE Ministry of Education. Applicants, who are holders of undergraduate degrees issued by a licensed higher education institution in the UAE, are required to submit a copy of their degrees attested by the UAE Ministry of Education. For details on requirements, kindly visit the Ministry’s website: Ministry of Education.
• Programme tuition fees (over 2 years):
||AED 166,400 (approximately US$ 45,344)|
• Payment of fees:
25% academic excellence scholarship
New joiners are eligible to 25% scholarship on tuition starting from the 1st semester. To be eligible, applicants are required to meet one of the below criteria:
- Bachelor CGPA average of 3.6/4.0 and above, or equivalent
- Bachelor with Final Average of 15/20 above
- Bachelor with first class honors
- Candidates graduating as the top of class, despite the average
A minimum average of 14/20 is required to maintain the scholarship for the following semesters.
For programmes taught in English: an English Proficiency level with a minimum of 7.0 for IELTS or 94 for TOELF IB
20% Alumni preferential rate
Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi alumni are eligible to a 20% waiver on tuition fee.
25% preferential rate upon enrolment on a second master’s degree
Applicants holding a master degree from SUAD and enrolling for a second master degree at SUAD are entitled to a 25% waiver on tuition.
5%-15% corporate rate
Companies and organizations benefit from a special discount, based on the number of employees enrolling in programmes. For more details, please contact +971(0) 2-6569311
10% Family discount
Students who have a first-degree relative currently enrolled in an undergraduate or a postgraduate programmes are eligible for a 10% discount.