Master in Records Management and Archival Studies
- About the programme
- Programme structure
- Entry requirements
- Tuition fees & scholarships
|• Programme duration:||2 years|
|• Delivery language:||English|
|• Degree awarded:||Master in Records Management and Archival Studies|
|• Accreditation:||The curriculum follows the European ECTS system and the degree is awarded by Sorbonne University. This programme is officially accredited by the UAE Commission for Academic Accreditation.|
|• Admission deadline:||25 August 2023|
|• Interview dates:||30 March 2023 at 5:30 pm | 27 April 2023 at 5:30 pm | 25 May 2023 at 5:30 pm | 29 June 2023 at 5:30 pm | 27 July 2023 at 5:30 pm | 31 August 2023 at 5:30 pm|
The two-year Master degree programme in Records Management and Archival Studies offered at Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi has been designed in collaboration with the UAE National Archives due to high demand in this field. The programme is taught in English by lecturers and international industry experts that provide students with the highest levels of scientific and professional skills in a field that has been rapidly developing in recent decades.
The Master degree programme in Records Management and Archival Studies is a comprehensive programme for decision-makers, that provides high level of intellectual education, the ability to think critically and autonomously, and conduct research on new topics.
The degree is awarded by Sorbonne Université (France). The full title of the programme is Master in the field of Human and Social Sciences; Area: History; Speciality: Records Management and Archival Studies. In the French academic system, this specialisation is usually related to History due to the long-standing tradition of historical record keeping and archives. However, the proposed programme mainly focuses on the core issues of records management and archival studies in a professional context.
The programme will prepare students to become seasoned professionals in the field, especially in the wake of digital revolution and transition towards e-administration and paperless administration, it aims to:
- Prepare students for successful and productive careers in senior and middle management positions in private and public, local and international organisations, and/or for pursuing doctoral studies in records and archives management
- Provide students with the core knowledge and professional skills in records management that would enable them to evaluate international norms and practices, prepare them for managing projects and information governance in a variety of organisational contexts
- Instil leadership and critical thinking skills in students to address challenges related to records and archives, and implement appropriate solutions
- Advancing cultural awareness through preserving documentary materials of all types and forms, and promoting research and discovery
The structure of the curriculum itself and of the individual courses is a result of the awareness of the scholarly and practical nature of the archival work. The curriculum offers theoretical and methodological knowledge in the classroom through fundamental, core courses and experiential learning through professional experiences and internships providing structured opportunities for applying in-class learning in the professional work environment.
The programme aims to inculcate decision-making in various areas such as policy design, appraisal of records, systems, and technologies, and the management of teams and projects. Though management is an integral part of each course, a course in management concludes the two years by bringing together the techniques, tools and strategies of organisational management referred to in the other courses taught throughout the programme.
The strength of the Master Degree Programme in Records Management and Archival Studies, lies not only in it meeting the job market requirements, but also to it contributing to a sustainable knowledge-based economy from a practical perspective. Artificial Intelligence is also a core concept of this programme.
As a Records Manager or an Archival Specialist, graduates of this programme will be able to:
- Accurately articulate ideas about records, as well as theories and practices related to archives fluently and thoughtfully in a variety of communication modes for diverse audiencesEngage critically and creatively with emerging professional and societal issues
- Identify asset value from daily acquired information
- Positively transform organisational effectiveness and innovation
- Capture, store, preserve and make accessible the information needed in future for the businesses
- Capture records for long-term archival preservation and use
- Ensure records retain their value in terms of accountability, cultural memory, and business needs
Such efforts contribute to optimising business operations and to promoting cultural awareness and dialogue.
Typical delivery format of the courses*
M1 and M2
|Monday||4:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Tuesday||4:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Wednesday||4:00pm – 8:00pm|
|Thursday||4:00pm – 8:00pm|
*This is the usual pattern of the courses, changes may sometimes occur.
Our Strategic Partners:
Geneva School of Business Administration
A memorandum of agreement was signed on March 2022 to establish a framework of cooperation with the Geneva School of Business Administration (HEG). Both institutions, HEG & SUAD, do agree to provide students from the other party access to their institutions in the department of Master in Information Science (HEG) and in the Master in Records Management and Archival Studies (SUAD).
National Library and Archives
A memorandum of agreement was signed on November 2018 with the National Library and Archives (NLA) in the UAE. The professional, undergraduate, and postgraduate programmes have been designed in collaboration with the NLA to fulfill the market job requirements in this field. Professionals and experts from the NLA contribute to support these academic programmes by being involved in some applied works, internships, and current research projects.
International Council on Archives
Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi is also an ICA member since 2019.
Year 1 – Semester 1
Records Management Foundation
|Fundamental Courses I||
*Two concentrations have to be selected among the following: Business and Enterprise Content Management, Cultural and Heritage Management, Financial Records Management or Health Management.
Year 1 – Semester 2
Managing data at the new era of digital transformation
|Fundamental Courses II||
Year 2 – Semester 1
Arrangement, Access & Preservation of Hybrid Data
*Two concentrations have to be selected among the following: Management of Personal Records, Management of Legal and Defense Records, or Management of Records during Mergers, Acquisitions, Divestures and Closures
Year 2 – Semester 2
Archival valuation and organisational management
- Bachelor in a relevant field with a CGPA of 3 out of 4 or equivalent. Candidates with a GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 can be granted a conditional acceptance subject to a probation period of one semester
- IELTS certificate with minimum overall band of 6.0 with a validity of 2 years or TOEFL certificate with minimum score of 79 (or equivalent) with a validity of 2 years or Minimum EmSAT English score of 1400 with a validity of 18 months or, Native English speaker who completed 3 full years in an English-medium institution within a maximum period of 3 years
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend an interview to assess the candidate’s motivation, career expectations and relevant professional experience in the degree area.
Applicants who earned their undergraduate degrees from universities outside the UAE must present a Certificate of Equivalency for their graduation certificates from the UAE Ministry of Education. Applicants, who are holders of undergraduate degrees issued by a licensed higher education institution in the UAE, are required to submit a copy of their degrees attested by the UAE Ministry of Education. For details on requirements, kindly visit the Ministry’s website: Ministry of Education.
• Programme tuition fees (over 2 years):
||AED 166,400 (approximately US$ 45,344)|
• Payment of fees:
25% academic excellence scholarship
New joiners are eligible to 25% scholarship on tuition starting from the 1st semester. To be eligible, applicants are required to meet one of the below criteria:
- Bachelor CGPA average of 3.6/4.0 and above, or equivalent
- Bachelor with Final Average of 15/20 above
- Bachelor with first class honors
- Candidates graduating as the top of class, despite the average
A minimum average of 14/20 is required to maintain the scholarship for the following semesters.
For programmes taught in English: an English Proficiency level with a minimum of 7.0 for IELTS or 94 for TOELF IB
20% Alumni preferential rate
Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi alumni are eligible to a 20% waiver on tuition fee.
25% preferential rate upon enrolment on a second master’s degree
Applicants holding a master degree from SUAD and enrolling for a second master degree at SUAD are entitled to a 25% waiver on tuition.
5%-15% corporate rate
Companies and organisations benefit from a special discount, based on the number of employees enrolling in programmes. For more details, please contact +971(0) 2-6569311
10% Family discount
Students who have a first-degree relative currently enrolled in an undergraduate or a postgraduate programmes are eligible for a 10% discount.