Master in Records Management and Archival Studies
The two-year Master degree programme in Records Management and Archival Studies offered at Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi has been designed in collaboration with the UAE National Archives due to high demand in this field. The programme is taught in English by lecturers and international industry experts that provide students with the highest levels of scientific and professional skills in a field that has been rapidly developing in recent decades.
The Master degree programme in Records Management and Archival Studies is a comprehensive programme for decision-makers, that provides high level of intellectual education, the ability to think critically and autonomously, and conduct research on new topics.
The degree is awarded by Sorbonne Université (France). The full title of the programme is Master in the field of Human and Social Sciences; Area: History; Speciality: Records Management and Archival Studies. In the French academic system, this specialisation is usually related to History due to the long-standing tradition of historical record keeping and archives. However, the proposed programme mainly focuses on the core issues of records management and archival studies in a professional context.
The programme will prepare students to become seasoned professionals in the field, especially in the wake of digital revolution and transition towards e-administration and paperless administration, it aims to:
- Prepare students for successful and productive careers in senior and middle management positions in private and public, local and international organizations, and/or for pursuing doctoral studies in records and archives management
- Provide students with the core knowledge and professional skills in records management that would enable them to evaluate international norms and practices, prepare them for managing projects and information governance in a variety of organizational contexts
- Instil leadership and critical thinking skills in students to address challenges related to records and archives, and implement appropriate solutions
- Advancing cultural awareness through preserving documentary materials of all types and forms, and promoting research and discovery
The structure of the curriculum itself and of the individual courses is a result of the awareness of the scholarly and practical nature of the archival work. The curriculum offers theoretical and methodological knowledge in the classroom through fundamental, core courses and experiential learning through professional experiences and internships providing structured opportunities for applying in-class learning in the professional work environment.
The programme aims to inculcate decision-making in various areas such as policy design, appraisal of records, systems, and technologies, and the management of teams and projects. Though management is an integral part of each course, a course in management concludes the two years by bringing together the techniques, tools and strategies of organisational management referred to in the other courses taught throughout the programme.
The strength of the Master Degree Programme in Records Management and Archival Studies, lies not only in it meeting the job market requirements, but also to it contributing to a sustainable knowledge-based economy from a practical perspective. Artificial Intelligence is also a core concept of this programme.
As a Records Manager or an Archival Specialist, graduates of this programme will be able to:
- Accurately articulate ideas about records, as well as theories and practices related to archives fluently and thoughtfully in a variety of communication modes for diverse audiences Engage critically and creatively with emerging professional and societal issues
- Identify asset value from daily acquired information
- Positively transform organisational effectiveness and innovation
- Capture, store, preserve and make accessible the information needed in future for the businesses
- Capture records for long-term archival preservation and use
- Ensure records retain their value in terms of accountability, cultural memory, and business needs
Such efforts contribute to optimising business operations and to promoting cultural awareness and dialogue.
Tuition Fees (including admin.fees):
AED 166,400 (approximately US$ 45,344)
5 September 2021
29 April 2021
27 May 2021
17 June 2021
8 July 2021
20 July 2021
23 August 2021
6 September 2021